C-USA Power Rankings, Week 5
Another disappointing week for the middling Conference USA. Looks like UTSA will be a real player for a Western Division championship this year. Our friends at Miner Rush are compiling power rankings from several Conference USA blogs. Keep your eye out.
1. East Carolina – Tough to rank the top two teams in C-USA as both have suffered very close losses to Virginia Tech in the past two weeks. ECU gets the nod despite a bye week.
2. Marshall – Took Logan Thomas and Virginia Tech to OT in Blacksburg. A three point loss at Ohio holds Marshall back from claiming the top spot. The Herd has a bye week before hosting UTSA.
3. MTSU – I think Rice would beat the Blue Raiders if they met on the gridiron but it’s hard to keep a three-win team off the top of the power rankings. Aftering a thrilling overtime win against an improving FAU team, MTSU will travel to Provo to take on BYU. We’ll know if this C-USA newcomer is legit or not after a late Friday night game. Check them out on ESPNU.
4. Rice – It’s getting tough to gauge this Rice team. The Owls looked salty against A&M before struggling against Kansas and losing to Houston. Preseason rust or overrated?
5. UNT – Every time I’ve caught a glimpse of the Mean Green they have left me impressed. Derek Thompson is coming into his own as a playmaker and the defense has shown promise, despite Georgia racking up 45 points on them last week.
6. UTSA – The Runners traveled to El Paso to begin their foray into Conference USA. It only took a quarter and a half for UTSA to prove that they belong. UTSA held UTEP to zero offensive touchdowns and set a new school record for total yards at halftime. Big, big test for Coach Coker and company as the Houston Cougars travel to the Alamodome this Saturday on Fox Sports.
7. FAU – While the Owls’ record is just 1-3, they have improved with each game. FAU could put themselves on the C-USA map with an upset of Rice this week.
8. Tulsa – Just one win against a poor Colorado St. squad for the preseason favorites. Tulsa ranks in the bottom 100th in both scoring and points allowed. This will be a short week for Tulsa as they host a struggling Iowa State on Thursday (FS1).
9. UTEP – The Miners were embarrassed at home this week after newcomer UTSA smacked them around at home. New coach Sean Kugler will have his work cut out for him to get this program set on the right track.
10. Tulane – While they were drubbed by Syracuse this week and managed to lose to Sunbelt start up South Alabama, a conference win over Louisiana Tech keeps Tulane above water.
11. UAB – Hard to get this team’s pulse. Lost to Troy in OT, got blown out by LSU, beat Northwestern State 52-28. I don’t know, man.
12. Louisiana Tech – Hey, at least they’ve won a game.
13. Southern Miss – 638 days since Southern Miss won a football game.
14. FIU – Miss me yet? http://media.nj.com/star-ledger/photo/2012/01/10500270-large.jpg
A UTSA alumnus that has been cast away to Austin, Jared enjoys live music and a craft beer. He thinks four verts is the best play in football but loves a QB sneak on fourth and inches. Twitter